Tuesday

Moonwalking on The Big Island of Hawai'i



Originally Published:

Okay, so I’m a West Coast chick. A West Coast chick from California with New England and West Indian roots. Oh. And I’m from Southern California no less. La La Land to be exact. The land of palm trees, movie stars, swimming pools and a bunch of other cool (and not so cool) stuff. (Can you say smog and traffic?) I grew up hanging out at the beach as often as folks go to the grocery store, went to summer camp on Catalina Island and lip synched to a Jackson Five Christmas song while dressed as an elf in the Marina del Rey Christmas boat parade as a mere babe. Ahhh, the memories.

When I think back though, I find it interesting that I managed to travel clear across the US to the Caribbean in search of island life, but never traveled to Hawai'i until I moved to Northern California as an adult. And it’s less than 2400 miles from California!

My first visit to the Hawaiian Islands was to Maui, the second largest of the Hawaiian Islands, the 17th largest island in the US, and an island name rooted in Hawaiian mythology. I also visited Waikiki/Honolulu frequently as an account executive since O'ahu was a part of my territory. (Not a bad gig.) Several years ago, I treated my mom to a Hawaiian vacay at the Sheraton Princess Ka’iulani in Waikiki Beach, named after its namesake, the lovely Hawaiian princess Ka’iulani (also the niece of Queen Liliʻuokalani).

Maui and O'ahu are both lovely, but I kept hearing about The Big Island and how different it was from the other Hawaiian Islands. And so off I went. Here’s what I did (photos are here), what I think you might want to do, and what I didn’t have time to do (WIDHTTD).

Get Your Bearings. After you check into your room and finish oohing and aahing about how pretty it is, leave. Get a map, get in your rental car, and get going. Take a drive around the island. Get lost. My husband and I showed up at our rented condo in the Kailua-Kona area and yes, it was a knock-out. But because I always like to get my bearings and see what’s what, I couldn’t wait to get out and take a look at The Big Island’s unique landscape and environment. The terrain varies from one part of the island to the other and is quite different from its sister islands. In fact, it seems like you’re walking on the moon because of the volcanic lava rock on the Kona side, while on another side of the island – in Hilo - are lush and tropical rain forests. Even though I tend to fall asleep on long drives, I was able to stay awake as we drove through parts of Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park with its 70 million years of volcanism, migration, and evolution. 70 million years. Can you believe it? That’s just awesome.

WIDHTTD: I didn’t pack any cold weather gear (it’s Hawai’i!), so we didn’t drive up to the sacred Mauna Kea, the tallest million year old island mountain in the world…where it actually snows! Now that certainly brings new meaning to White Christmas…Hawaiian style. #melekalikimaka

Akaka Falls State Park. Oooooo, Akaka Falls must be what heaven is like. Especially if you’re a water baby like me. Since you’re going to rent a car (you’re renting a car, right?), you must, must, must spend the day driving to and hanging out at Akaka Falls State Park located along the northeastern Hamakua Coast. Not only will you see the 100-foot Kahuna Falls as you make your way through a tropical paradise of low hanging ferns, wild orchids and other lush plant life, but you’ll see the Akaka Falls plummet 442-feet into a shroud of steam. It’s straight out of a fantasy. Absolutely heavenly.

WIDHTTD: Pana`ewa Rainforest Zoo, the only natural tropical rain forest in the US.

Water & Outdoor Activities. I guess it’s fairly obvious that there are a host of beach and water activities to participate in while on a Hawaiian island (or any island for that matter), including swimming (duh), surfing, snorkeling, scuba, boating, fishing and *drumroll* sea kayaking. So I know I just gave this big intro about how I’m Miss Beach Girl (with a travel camp) and all but…er…uh…truth be told, Miss Beach Girl got a case of motion sickness on a sea kayaking adventure. It doesn’t mean that YOU will, of course. Nope, just me.

WIDHTTD: I didn’t get to hang out with the Hawaiian sea turtles at Black Sand Beach or go zip-lining.

Kona Natural Soap Company & Kokoleka Lani Farms. I met Greg, a native of the San Francisco Bay Area (!) and co-owner of Kona Natural Soap Company and the farm that many of his ingredients come from, at Ali'i Gardens Marketplace on a Wednesday or Saturday where he was selling handmade soaps, Hawaiian Kukui nut oil and 100% Kona coffee. (I met Greg's partner Marty on a later visit to their farm.) Greg is a walking talking encyclopedia and can tell you anything and everything you ever wanted to know about cacao, handmade soaps, botanicals or anything else. When you meet him, you’ll know exactly what I mean. Make sure you tell them One Brown Girl sent you.

WIDHTTD: I didn’t get to see the cowboys or the cattle ranch at Parker Ranch in Waimea, one of the oldest and most historic ranches in the US founded in 1847.

Immerse Yourself in the Local Culture. I enjoy – okay, no – I love exploring culture and Hawaii is easily one of my favorite places to learn. So go to an authentic Hawaiian luau while you’re in Hawaii, okay? Buy a traditional Hawaiian quilted bedspread (take lots of money). Learn some Hawaiian words (Humuhumunukunukuapuaʻa, how aloha means more than hello/goodbye, Mahalo, etc.) Eat starfruit, dragonfruit and fruit you never tasted or heard of before. Get brave and go to the local kava bar. Just don’t be careless and drink a bunch of kava and then operate a motor vehicle. #onlylosersdothat

WIDHTTD: Hang out with the Native Hawaiians.

The Dolphin Encounter at the Hilton Waikoloa Village. If I could make this paragraph stand out by putting stars or diamonds on it, I would. This property is Off. The. Chain. From the life-size bronze sculpture of a horse drawn carriage, to the salt-water lagoon, to the delightfully simple canal ride that tours the hotel grounds, I would definitely stay at this property on another trip to Kona. And the truth is, the dolphin encounter at this fabulous hotel property was the highlight of my trip. Not only do I now have dolphinitis (my own term for my obsession with dolphins), I want one, it inspired me to add a dolphin encounter to CampCaribe, and I want to be one. But don’t call a psychologist just yet. Not until you’ve experienced a dolphin encounter yourself. Then you’ll know I’m not crazy. #nottotallycrazyanyway

WIDHTTD: Take a dolphin home or stay at the Hilton.

Look. I know I’m leaving a ton of stuff out. But The Big Island isn’t called The Big Island for nothing (93 miles across and over 4000 square miles). There is loads of stuff to do and see. But, hey, don’t take my word for it. Just go!

Next stop: Koloa Landing at Poipu Beach Wyndham Grand Resort on Kauai to relax, write and scope out a location for CampHawaii.

No comments:

Post a Comment