Tuesday

Camping in Paris? Mmmm Hmmmm.



Originally Published:

Okay. So I love the outdoors. A lot.

In terms of atmosphere, I love lots of trees, clean air, and anywhere on the waterfront. The trees can be tropical or woodsy, the air can be crisp or humid, and the water can be salty or fresh. Doesn’t matter to me one little bit. As long as it's outdoors.

Now for a little clarification.

I prefer to be warm and not cold. I prefer not to pitch a tent although I have no problems sleeping in one. And I’ll shower in communal facilities, as long as they’re clean. Some people call this luxury camping or glamping (glam + camping). I simply think of it as convenient. Plus, the less time I spend pitching a tent, the more time I have to take in my surroundings. So for all of you outdoor traditionalists out there, please...don’t hate.

So I just got back from France and you might be surprised to learn that camping is pretty big in Europe. In fact, there are over 11,000 (!) campgrounds in France alone. My husband’s cousins Thérèse and Kiki always (always) talk about their “quatre étoiles” (4-star) camping trips to the third most popular tourist destination in France - La Rochelle - where they take their camper (very popular) and accompanying tent that attaches on one side. They actually brag about camping just like people brag about their babies...photos and all. I love it.

You might also be surprised to learn that out of those 11,000 campgrounds, there is one in Paris within 15 minutes of the spectacular Champs-Élysées. (So you know I had to go and check it out.) It is in Bois de Boulogne and the campsite is called Bois de Boulogne Camping right next to the famous River Seine which is bordered by a gorgeous (!) upscale neighborhood called Neuilly-sur-Seine that we drove through to get to our destination. In the midst of 17 acres of beautiful outdoorness (I know, not a word), outdoor activities include horseback riding, bicycle riding, nature walking, boating, and more.

Although it was a little chilly for tent camping (I still saw 4 tent campers), there were lots of RV campers of all sizes on what we in the US might consider an RV camp. I saw license plates from Austria, Italy, Andorra, The Netherlands, France, Germany, and other places all over Europe. Even some of the chalets (aka cabins) were occupied. They range in price from 59-80 euro a night in low season and 81-108 euro a night during high season with the spaces for the solo vehicles/campers/tents costing much less.

I was insanely curious about French camping, so I made a special trip to Bois de Boulogne (in the cold...brrrr) just to take photos and share (see my Outdoor Afro photo page here). But I'm really anxious to get to La Rochelle with my French family where the air is clean, where there are lots of trees, where we’re on the waterfront and of course, when it warms up a bit. I've never been glamping in France...but hey...there's a first time for everything, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment