Tuesday

Black Women Expatriates: The Series (Part VIII)



Originally Published:

Terra, an American expatriate living in Belgium and one of the featured expats in this piece, says that to get a better understanding of different countries and their cultures, it helps to spend some time living in them and, of course, she's dead on. Reading books and studying culture are great ways to learn, but as expats from around the globe will tell you, there's nothing like being there. And while blending in and fitting in are in no way considered free of challenges (if it ever happens at all), every expat I've spoken to (with a few exceptions) wouldn't trade in the challenges for anything in the world. In my view, overcoming challenges - particularly in a country that is not home - builds character and hopefully creates understanding in a not-so-understanding world.

In May 2013, I am going to spend a month or so in the rainforest of Belize in an attempt to build my own character in the name of personal growth. I only hope to grow at least half as much as the Black women expatriates I've been interviewing, for in my view they are paving the way for young Black girls and women all over the world anxious to explore and immerse...and I am pleased beyond measure to be a small part of encouraging this experience and perhaps even a new world view.

And now on to the business at hand...



THE NETHERLANDS:  Carolyn van Es-Vines
STATS:  Carolyn is a Black American woman from Indianapolis, Indiana and has lived in The Netherlands for 13 years. Author of the memoir Black and Abroad: Traveling Beyond the Limitations of Identity, she is married to a Dutchman and they have two daughters, 8 and 5, and a son, 5 months.
BlogBlack and Abroad
1.  What made you decide to become an expat:  I was dating a Dutchman who asked me to move back to the Netherlands with him. I said, "Yes."
2.  What you love about being an expat:  I love the in-between spaces where many social expectations don’t apply to me because I’m “foreign” or because I don’t live in my home country anymore.
3.  What you don't love about being an expat:  I don’t love negotiating a culture to which I don’t know the most intimate codes.
4.  Advice for women considering the expat life:  Just do it! First visit the place you want to make your second home to make sure its energy matches yours, then commit to figuring out how to get there.
5.  How often your friends come to visit and how often you get back to the US:  One good friend came 8 years ago for our wedding. We try to get back to the US once a year.


BELGIUM:  Terra Robinson
STATS: Terra is a single woman from Atlanta, GA and, while she identifies as African-American, she refers to herself as an American Black Chick on her blog. #cute. Terra has lived in Brussels since August 2010, has previously lived in NYC, Toulouse, France, and London, England, and works in communications for an international organization in Brussels.
BlogAmerican Black Chick in Europe
1. What made you decide to become an expat:  Curiosity. I read a lot, a habit I picked up as a child. Reading about all of these places made me want to visit them, to see them in person. After visiting, I realized that to get a better understanding of different countries and their cultures, it helps to spend some time living in them, so I did.
2.  What you love about being an expat:  The opportunity to learn something new, to experience a new culture. I love meeting new people and making friends from all over.
3.  What you don't love about being an expat:  My family and childhood friends being so far away and only getting to see them once or twice a year, if I'm lucky. And there are some days where you just crave things from home: the sights, smells, sounds and food.
4. Advice for women considering the expat life:  Do it, but be prepared. I'm not saying have everything perfectly planned out, but make sure to do as much research as possible on whatever country you're moving to. Get an idea of cultural differences, sort out a (temporary) place to stay, understand the process of how to open a bank account. Make sure you have all your documents and visas in place but, above all, enjoy it!
5. How often your friends come to visit and how often you get back to the US:  Depends on the year. Normally, I have at least a couple American friends visit each year. I try to make it back to the US at least once a year, sometimes twice depending on the price of the airline tickets.


DENMARK:  Robin Patin
STATS:  Robin is an African-American woman that hails from New Orleans, LA but considers San Francisco, CA her adopted home. She has lived in Copenhagen for a year and a half, is single with no children and, besides New Orleans and San Francisco, has previously lived in Hamburg, Germany and New York City. Robin works as a Project Leader for a European Commission project for startups.
BlogThe Choosy Beggar  
1. What made you decide to become an expat:  Something just wouldn't rest in my soul until I had my chance to live abroad. It was a calling I just had to follow or my life would have been incomplete on some level.
2.  What you love about being an expat:  The unparalleled freedom. I have two boxes and two suitcases - I never felt so free!
3.  What you don't love about being an expat:  It gets very lonely sometimes. I live in a culture where it’s difficult to make friends and I feel isolated.
4.  Advice for women considering the expat life:  Get straight with your money (you'll need to be on top of finances now more than ever). Figure out how to connect with people and the community - certain cultures are easier to connect with than others.  Prepare for the unexpected and know that you have the grace and the dignity to handle come what may. Look for the good: it’s so easy to complain, but find the good points in your journey.
5. How often your friends come to visit and how often you get back to the US:  My friends honestly never visit. Oh, they'll talk about visiting, but when it comes to buying an expensive ticket to fly to Europe...I don't blame them. Most of them have other priorities for their lives now (families, children, etc). I go back for the month of December. This year, I am thinking of going back for two months. I need this time to keep my sanity and reconnect with family and loved ones!
***

PART I: Jo in China, Lola in Sweden, Dori in England, Nicole in South Korea – 5/1/12
PART II: Carolyn in Switzerland, Davette in Barbados, Tatiana in Germany and Lily the serial expat 5/14/12
PART III: Maureen in France, Sheryll in South Korea, Adrienne in Sweden, Arielle in Brazil – 5/21/12
PART IV: April in Jamaica, Nicole in Germany, Monique in The Netherlands, Oneika in London – 5/28/12
PART V: Natasha in Abu Dhabi, Margaret in Peru, Diana in Indonesia 6/4/12
PART VIHeather in Chile, Monique in Paris, Rachelle in Japan – 6/11/12
PART VII: Joia in Barbados, Shirley in Bordeaux, Adria in Bogota – 6/25/12
PART IX:  Are you an expat? Know an expat? Email Tracey@OneBrownGirl.com and join in on the celebration as Black women expatriates blow off stereotypes and #TravelByExample.
***
*NEW!* on BlackAtlas >>> OBG's Celebrity Passport Chronicles!

No comments:

Post a Comment