Tuesday

Black Women Expatriates: The Series (Part VI)



Originally Published:

As a global awareness advocate, I believe that highlighting and sharing information about Black women who travel and/or live in countries outside of their native lands not only encourages other Black women that might be on that proverbial expat fence to go for it (or not), but also sets a brilliant example for young girls who never considered a future that involves travel and/or living away from home. To see someone that looks like you living and working in places like Abu Dhabi, South Korea, France, South America, etc. might just make the possibilities possible. Yanno?

But the truth is that Black and Brown travelers/travel writers don’t always get the mainstream love that they should be getting, which is one of the reasons sites like BlackAtlas.com exist and why I’m so excited to share the profiles of Black Women Expatriates in this space. To that end, and motivated by both what I am and am not seeing in the world of travel and travel writing, the first multicultural travel & lifestyle blogger retreat is scheduled go down in April 2013 where the entire event will be dedicated to the value that travel & lifestyle bloggers and expats from culturally diverse backgrounds bring to the world’s table. Save the date.
In the meantime, I am yet again over-the-top excited - *cartwheeling* - to bring you Part V of Black Women Expatriates right here on BlackAtlas.com as more Black women continue to demystify stereotypes and #TravelByExample.

ABU DHABI: Natasha Fuller
STATS: Natasha is an African-American woman living in the far western region of Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates on an island called Delma. Single with no children, Natasha is a kindergarten teacher and full time doctoral student who comes from Ft. Worth, TX. Natasha has lived in the UAE for 10 months and has also lived throughout Texas in Nacodgoches, Arlington, Plainview, San Antonio and Houston before moving overseas. In her time off, Natasha spends time exploring other countries close to the UAE such as India, Egypt, Jordan and Europe, and has plans to go home to the US this summer for a two-week holiday.
Blog: Diva in Abu Dhabi
1. What made you decide to become an expat: A job loss is what gave me the push. I always wanted to teach overseas but, once I knew I was going to be looking for a job in the next year, I took the leap.
2. What you love about being an expat: I love being able to travel to several counties on my vacations. I also love that I get to see how other people and cultures live around the world.
3. What you don't love about being an expat: I don't love the feeling of standing out because you look different than everyone else. I don't like the language barriers that you sometimes run into while out and about.
4. Advice for women considering the expat life: I say go for it. It was the best decision I ever made. If you have a passion for people, culture and travel, it's the next best thing to sliced bread -- a life and lifestyle changer for sure.

PERU: Margaret Free
STATS: Margaret arrived in Arequipa, Peru in March 2012 to launch a one-year online pilot program that will provide business skills to women entrepreneurs. Originally from Greensboro, NC, Margaret is single with no children and has lived in Greensboro and Charlotte, NC; Atlanta, GA; Phoenix, AZ; Philadelphia, PA; Bayonne, NJ; Santiago and Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic (12 months total) and in Monterrey, Mexico (two months).
Blog: Chocolate Gringa
1. What made you decide to become an expat: After studying abroad in the Dominican Republic, I knew that I wanted to one day make a life in Latin America. This opportunity in Peru was the perfect chance for me. I am living a dream.
2. What you love about being an expat: I am a student at heart and love the idea of being able to learn something new every day. A new word, a new phrase, how to use public transportation, where to go/where not to go, local cuisine, etc.
3. What you don't love about being an expat: I don’t love being ‘out of control’ and in Latin America there are situations where things (EVERYTHING) can be deemed as ‘out of my control.’
4. Advice for women considering the expat life: Prepare yourself for culture shock by finding the best way to cope with homesickness. If you love to read, buy a Kindle and bring it with you. If you love to cook, come prepared to find a place with a nice kitchen, close to a grocery store. If you love the Internet and staying connected, bring a great computer and any other gadgets that will make you feel at home. In a nutshell, culture shock is a beast and can easily hijack your time abroad. The best way to avoid that is to understand it and be prepared to cope with it the best way possible.


INDONESIA: Diana O'Gilvie
STATS: Diana was born in Jamaica and migrated to New York where she lived for 17 years before she went off on her first live abroad adventure to Jakarta, Indonesia just three short months ago. In a relationship with no children, Diana teaches English and is also a writer and filmmaker. Diana insists that Jakarta won't be the last place she lives away from the US and plans on living in at least a few more countries.
Blog: Love2TravelWriteFilm
1. What made you decide to become an expat: The initial decision wasn't to be an expat. I just desperately needed a change. After living and working in America for fifteen years, I decided that I wanted to live an international life. I was burnt out from working just to pay the bills: rent for a nice apartment that I hardly ever saw and a cool car I hardly I ever drove. I knew there was more to life than the proverbial rat race and I earnestly sought that out.
2. What you love about being an expat: I love discovering a new culture, wrapping my tongue around a new language and, most of all, the food.
3. What you don't love about being an expat: Being Black in Indonesia can be challenging at times. There have been times when my personal space has been violated when strangers come up to me and rub my skin.
4. Advice for women considering the expat life: I know it may seem like a huge step to leave, but once you've made the decision, everything falls into place so quickly and effortlessly. Be certain that this is what you really want to do. Make a plan and follow through with it. How much money will you need? When do you plan on leaving? What are you going to pack? Have fun scouring the globe and deciding in which country you will start your adventure. There will be naysayers around, but listen to your gut, it never lies. Some of those naysayers are just too chicken to pursue their own dreams. Be brave and don't let fear shackle you.
***

PART IJo in China, Lola in Sweden, Dori in England, Nicole in South Korea - 5/1/12
PART IICarolyn in Switzerland, Davette in Barbados, Tatiana in Germany and Lily the serial expat - 5/14/12
PART IIIMaureen in France, Sheryll in South Korea, Adrienne in Sweden, Arielle in Brazil - 5/21/12
PART IVApril in Jamaica, Nicole in Germany, Monique in The Netherlands, Oneika in London - 5/28/12
PART VI: Heather in Chile, Monique in Paris, Rachelle in Japan - 6/11/12
PART VII: Joia in Barbados, Shirley in Bordeaux, Adria in Colombia – 6/25/12
PART VIII: Carolyn in The Netherlands, Terra in Brussels, Robin in Denmark - 7/16/12
PART IX: Are you an expat? Know an expat? Email Tracey@OneBrownGirl.com and join in on the celebration as Black women expatriates blow off stereotypes!

No comments:

Post a Comment