Tuesday

Black Women Expatriates: The Series (Part IX)


Originally published:

What does a clinical psychologist from Philly, a full-time mom from East London, a decorator/stylist of French West Indian descent, and a Chicago daycare provider turned kindergarten teacher all have in common? Yep. You guessed it. They're all Black women and they're all expatriates. 

They're part of the 20% of the entire expatriate workforce that is made up of women. And while I have yet to see any expat reports broken down by demographics, it wouldn't surprise me to learn that Black women make up a fair chunk of that 20%, yanno? I'm speculating, of course. There's repatriation and job scarcity to consider, but the more I write and the more I travel, the more I see. And right now I'm seeing Black Women making moves. Here are four more movers and shakers to be inspired by. Bet you will be. Betcha.

UNITED STATES: TRICIA CLARKE


STATS: Tricia, a blogger and full-time mommy, was born in Guyana, South America and moved to London when she was 5 years old. Her parents are from Guyana and St. Vincent in the Caribbean, respectively. Married with adorable 4- and 5-year-old boys, Tricia has previously lived in New York but has been living in Aberdeen, Maryland since 2005.


1. What you love about being an expat: It's a great conversation-starter (when you're in the mood for a conversation!), and I love that my kids have another culture to explore when they are older that they have ties to. Coming from another country also gives me a unique perspective on world affairs.

2. What you don't love about being an expat: I don't like the ignorance some people have about my home country. From being asked whether there are black people in London to not having your English qualfications recognised by certain institutions. I also hate when people try to mimic my accent because it's usually not great!

3. Advice for women considering the expat life: My main advice would be to have, or create, some kind of support system in your new country. No matter how much of a loner you may be, women need to exhale and de-stress with other women. If you have no family or friends where you're relocating, be proactive about finding like-minded women to connect with, either through a church, women's group, etc. It makes the experience so much more enjoyable.

4. What made you decide to become an expat: I have always loved traveling, especially growing up in the UK where the rest of Europe is so accessible. After studying in America during college, I developed a desire to live there. The opportunity arose whilst I was working as a journalist for the BBC. I lived in New York for months and met my husband there. I eventually moved to the US to be with him.

5. How often do your friends come to visit? How often to you get back to the UK? My family has visited me several times since I've been here -- I'd say at least once a year. My friends, not so much! Maybe my location isn't glamorous enough! I usually go back home once year and, since having kids, it's even more important for me to make regular visits to London so they become more familiar with the culture and their UK family. They both have dual citizenship and it's important for them to realize they are citizens of the world.

BOTSWANA: Nicole Monteiro


STATS: Nicole, an African American woman with Cape Verdean, Southern Black and Native American roots, has lived in Ethiopia, Bahrain, Senegal, and Grenada, having traveled to many, many more countries. A clinical psychologist and researcher, Nicole is from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and is married with a 10-month-old baby. She has lived in Gaborone, Botswana since June 1, 2012.


1. What you love about being an expat: Excitement and exposure to food, sounds, people, colors, textures and other visceral experiences that you can only know by trying for yourself. You learn lessons that no books can teach!

2. What you don't love about being an expat: Being far from family and friends, as well as encountering negative stereotypes about Black women. It's also difficult at times dealing with money transfers and other financial matters.

3. Advice for women considering the expat life: Connect with other women who travel and live abroad, in person or through online forums. You'll get lots of practical advice on countries, job searches, moving, etc. If you decide to take the leap of faith, tap into your inner strength to harness confidence and openness. Do not to put up barriers, even when people may misunderstand or irritate you. Finally, reflecting and writing are great ways to learn about and develop yourself while abroad.

4. What made you decide to become an expat: I have always loved to travel, meet new people, and learn about different cultures and ways of life. I've always known that life in America is not the end-all and be-all of existence. When I realized that I could integrate my work and research with my passion for travel and living abroad, there was no turning back!

5. How often do your friends come to visit? How often to you get back to the US? I get home usually once per year when I am away or in between work assignments. Recently, I have been home for an extended period for maternity leave. I'm still working on getting more friends and family to visit. I'm trying to convince them that the experience of travel is well worth the money spent on airline tickets and other expenses. I've had my mom and one friend visit me in Bahrain, as well as my mom and uncle visit me in Ethiopia.


ROME: Arlene Gibbs

STATS: Arlene Gibbs was born in New York City & raised in Verona, New Jersey. A first generation Black American, Arlene's parents are from St. Martin, French West Indies and she has dual French/American citizenship. Arlene is single with no kids, has lived in Rome for four years, and is a former Hollywood film development executive working as a Decorator/Stylist and Writer. Other than New York, she has lived in Los Angeles, Washington DC, Austin, and Little Rock, Arkansas.


1. What you love about being an expat: Learning a new language. Meeting people from all over the world.

2. What you don't love about being an expat: Not being able to speak said language fluently.

3. Advice for women considering the expat life: Get your visas in order. Just because you're an American, it doesn't mean you're not an immigrant. Learn as much of the language as possible before your move; it will make life a lot easier. Keep in mind (depending on your new country) that you may be defined more by your nationality than your race, as there will be black people there who are not American and will have a different POV. Learn about the history of your new country and resist the temptation to constantly compare it to America.

4. What made you become an expat: Long story...I fell in love (unexpectedly) with Rome and, also, I wanted a better quality of life.

5. How often do your friends come to visit? How often to you get back to the US? I have to go back to L.A. for meetings. I try to visit St. Martin (where my parents now live) at least once a year. Since my move, several of my close friends, and many friends of friends, have visited Rome.

SOUTH KOREA: Joy K. Richardson

STATS: Joy, an African-American woman born and raised in Chicago, Illinois, moved to Daejeon, South Korea on February 1, 2012 having never lived outside of her home state. Single with two children, Joy owned her own daycare before making her move and now teaches kindergarten children in South Korea. She is a mother, a teacher, an entrepreneur and author of "A Helping Hand Series".


1. What you love about being an expat: I love the cultural experience of being an expat. I'm able to open a whole new world for my son and myself, while continuing to make a difference.

2. What you don't love about being an expat: I don't like not being able to speak the language. Adjusting to a new culture and environment can be a challenge, too.

3. Advice for women considering the expat life: My advice to any women considering being an expat is that you can do it! Research the country and town that you want to go to. Rent materials from the library: books, videos, cds, language cds, etc. Experience the world and see what's out there. You never know what you'll find until you look outside the box.

4. What made you decide to become an expat: I've worked for many years with children, literacy, and trying to make a difference in their lives. I wanted to continue my efforts in promoting child literacy through education. I wanted my children to have a rich cultural experience. You only live once, and the only limits in our lives are the ones we place on ourselves. My motto: "We can make a difference with our children; one child, one home, and one step at a time." I continue to work towards that daily.

5. How often do your friends come to visit? How often to you get back to the US? I haven't been home yet, nor have I had any visitors. I've only been here a few months, but hopefully I'll get a chance to visit back home soon.

Part I: Jo Gan in China, Lola in Sweden, Dori in England, Nicole in South Korea – 5/1/12
Part II: Carolyn in Switzerland, Davette in Barbados, Tatiana in Germany and Lily the serial expat – 5/14/12
Part III: Maureen in France, Sheryll in South Korea, Adrienne in Sweden, Arielle in Brazil – 5/21/12
Part IV: April in Jamaica, Nicole in Germany, Monique in The Netherlands, Oneika in London – 5/28/12
Part V: Natasha in Abu Dhabi, Margaret in Peru, Diana in Indonesia – 6/4/12
Part VI: Heather in Chile, Monique in Paris, Rachelle in Japan – 6/11/12
Part VII: Joia in Barbados, Shirley in Bordeaux, Adria in Colombia – 6/25/12
Part VIII: Carolyn in The Netherlands, Terra in Brussels, Robin in Denmark – 7/16/12

#TravelByExample!

No comments:

Post a Comment